Friday, July 25, 2014

REVIEW: Warsore & Unholy Grave - Terrirismo Musical / This Must Stop

This masterpiece was released in 1997, limited to 1000 hand numbered copies. Luckily I was able to obtain a copy. Easily one of my favorite grindcore splits. Why not? Two legendary underground bands belting out grindcore madness. What is not to love? So anyway here's my review . . .

Warsore was truly a unique grindcore band. Their energy and rawness has gone unmatched for years. I mean they used a pretty typical formula. Distorted guitar and bass. Nothing over the top. Just loud and distorted. Drumming is typically insane, blasts and what sounds like cymbals being pulverized. The vocals are guttural growls and higher pitched yells. The instruments and vocals blend perfectly. The lyrical content is pretty much political commentary about society. Ranging from disdain to political figures to stealing from the rich to survive, to calling out all the fashion punks out on their bullshit.

I feel like for some reason to this day, bands haven't even come close to matching their intensity. Many have tried and failed, or end up playing overly produced death metal calling it grindcore. Its not that Warsore was the fastest or most technical band ever. Quite the contrary. I believe they just played/recorded with a passion that a lot of bands don't have.

Unholy Grave stuck to the typical grindcore formula also. Grinding guitar/bass with distortion. Blast beats on drums, guttural growls and screams for vocals. I love this side based on just the vocals. The guitar is a little too clean sounding for me not by much though. It reminds me of the 80's hardcore style playing. The drums are pretty much just blasts. The lyrics are what you've come to expect from Unholy Grave, they're all about social and political issues much like Warsore.

Warsore is my favorite band so naturally I liked their side better. Unholy Grave's side is amazing though. It's truly one of the greater grindcore splits to ever come out. But you be the judge . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment